Wednesday, January 07, 2009


Marque, an old friend of mine from college, had stopped by our new house, after announcing his intentions through text, to join us for lunch some few days before New Year. As I have not seen him since Cebu, which was almost a full year hence, and as I was rather curious as to how he had managed to find himself in the middle of the desert in Dubai- I accosted to his request. He had not changed much, neither in appearance nor manner, when I finally saw him gawking through the driveway. The desert had apparently not improved his tan nor significantly reduced his weight; still, I was very happy to see him (for I have not seen such a friendly face, due to my self-imposed incarceration, in a long while). After our delayed lunch, for we have unfortunately ran out of rice, he invited me to wash it down with our favorite brew (beer, of course). We then had a pleasant half-drunken conversation, just like old times, but it was rather cut short- as he was commited to a previous engagement of which he could not forego. After we made promises of future meetings, exchanged old jokes, and wished each other well- we parted amiably.

I must admit that, afterwards, I felt a bit envious of my good friend's fortune- he found employment with a reasonable income abroad, toured India and Hong Kong, and got back with his old sweetheart- whilst I waste my time here in this wretched old town. Maayo pa siya accurately describes my feelings. I love my friend and I am happy for him, if only I could say the same for myself and what I have been reduced into. My dreams, after all these years, have yet to come, not in the slightest, into fruition. Moreover, I feel it slipping through my grasp and seem to be so far, far away. What has happened? First it was the forced retake of the board examinations, then there was the retrogression, then the delay of my NCLEX application, finally there is now the recession. A delightful string of impediments and interruptions. It is as if fate itself is against me, and has taken every step to foil my dreams from becoming a reality. The New Year has come and gone, without much fanfare nor celebration, for what is really there to celebrate? This year, I have no great hope, only that I could find some employment as a nurse, so as not to become too much of a burden for my dear parents. Only that.

After 2009 has come to pass, when (and if) I meet my friend again, I wonder- would my fate then have changed for the better?

No comments: